Crime Watch Tips
Here are some tips on making yourself less vulnerable to criminal activity:
- If you’re going out of town, let your neighbors know so they can keep an eye on your house, pick up the paper and help make it look occupied.
- Turn your porch lights on at night to help light up the neighborhood. (Use a timer so you don’t have to think about it.)
- Consider landscaping lighting as well as motion activated spotlights for the rear or side of the house.
- Keep your blinds and shutters closed at night so you don’t advertise your possessions.
- Remove everything valuable from your car every night. if you have a GPS device, clean your window. (The little round spot from the suction cup is
an invitation to break in and look for your GPS).
- When shopping, take valuables with you or put them in the trunk of your car. Do not leave anything valuable, even small change, visible in your car.
- Report any home or vehicle break-in or theft, no matter how minor, right away.
- Always close your garage doors.
- Invest in good deadbolts and lock your doors and windows
- Consider how your landscape can deter or help criminals
And most important: Get to know your neighbors. Swap phone numbers (home, work, cell) so you can reach each other if you see a problem or need them to watch your home for you.
If you think anything is unusual in the neighborhood, don’t hesitate to call 911.